Big Brothers Big Sisters Columbia Northwest (BBBSCNW) builds bonds to enable kids to reach their greatest potential by providing one-to-one mentoring for children facing adversity.
Youth Eligibility Requirements:
- The child is a resident within the BBBSCNW service area (Portland Metropolitan Area and neighboring cities)
- The child is between the ages of 6 and 16 years old
- The child and family must agree to make a 12-month commitment to the program
- The child displays any of the following:
- social, emotional, or economic challenges
- poor self-esteem/lack of confidence
- low social skills or few friends their age
- diminished opportunities for 1:1 time with consistent adult(s)
- mild to moderate emotional challenges
- struggles in school or other areas
- Child must want to participate in the program voluntarily (youth who do not want to participate in the program will not be enrolled)
- Parent/legal guardian and child must be willing to partner with the agency and communicate with their Match Support Specialist regarding match activity, child development, and child safety on a monthly basis for the first year of the match relationship, and quarterly thereafter.
BBBSCNW makes every effort to explore and address the needs of all children on a case-by-case basis. If the agency feels that it would be unable to meet the young person’s needs, then appropriate referrals will be explored.
** BBBSCNW does not guarantee a match to parents/guardians, children, or volunteers.